An amazing healthy savory pancake for your next breakfast or brunch with a mind-blowing new white sauce !
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups plain yoghurt (laban)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 6 strips bacon* cut into cubes
- 300 ml cooking creme *
- 3 tbsp date syrup*
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary* chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornflour
mix together the dry ingredients: flour,sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a deep bowl and set aside.
in the food processor (or you can in a deep big bowl by hand) whisk together the wet ingredients: egg and yogurt and pulse or whisk until you have a smooth yellow mixture.
add in half of the dry mixture and mix than add the other half and mix again till everything is well mixed.
stir in the cheese and parsley and pulse it once or twice until just the cheese is broken up into the mixture you don't have to over mix it, 30 seconds is enough or a couple of pulses.
set the batter aside so it rest a little for 15 minutes minimum . while the batter is setting prepare the white sauce.
add oil to a skillet on medium heat and after the oil is heated add the bacon cubes and mix with a wooden spoon .
sautee for 3-4 minutes till there color start to get this crispy brown look.
add the garlic and cook through until you can smell the fragrance of the garlic
add the cooking cream along with the date syrup, mustard , salt , white pepper , nutmeg and fresh thyme and mix it all together.
bring the mixture to boil
mix aside the cornflour and water till the cornflour is dissolved.
add the cornflour mixture to the skillet .
when the mixture start to boil lower the heat and let it simmer while keep on whisking gently the mixture until it have a thick texture .
the moment the mixture start to thicken . turn off the heat and pour the sauce in the serving bowl.
now to cook the pancakes on the raclette or in a pan on stove you can use the same concept:
preheat your raclette pallet or skillet on stove on medium to low heat.
pour over 1/4 cup of the batter/pancake
let it cook for 4 min approx. when you see the edges has started to harden and all the pancake is cooked through and bubbles shown on the top .
gently flip it with a spatula and let it cook on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes also.
stock up 3 pancakes and drizzle the white sauce on top of it .
you can enjoy also with some turkey slice in between for an extra boost of protein like it is shown in the pictures above.
- the bacon doesn't have to be pig bacon you can use beef bacon or veal bacon instead but use bacon it add a smoked taste to the taste .
- i use a organic low fat cooking cream it is the best so the sauce will be not to much heavy and hard on your stomach.
- date syrup add a original earthy taste to the sauce but if you cannot find it you can replace it with honey or maple syrup or molasses, but if you can find date syrup i highly recommend to use it add a very significant taste.
- you can use 1 tsp dry oregano if you cannot find rosemary
- the batter can be prepared the night before and store in the fridge.
- as for the leftovers the baked pancake can be stored in fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for 3 months.
- as for the sauce you can store it in the fridge for 3 days if it is not spreadable anymore and it is thicken in the fridge you can preheat it in the microwave for 30 sec and whisk it to loosen up a little bit but it always to use it fresh for the best texture.
- you can also make some cheese sauce and spread it on the pancakes.