warm, comforting and hearty beef-bean stew with a tangy sweet taste to spice up a normal plain beef and bean stew with rice that we grow up with ! the must exciting part of this recipe that I want to share with you is that, it is in one pan recipe !
yes beans and meat and all these veggies in one pan! that the beauty of the pressure cooker
please do read all the recipe notes before starting your cooking
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 sticks celery sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 2-3 medium carrots diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly grinded
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 3 sprigs thyme fresh
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 g beef meat cubes lean
- 200 g red beans soaked overnight* (check notes)
- 300 g red beans "عيشة خانم" soaked overnight* (check notes)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (دبس الرمان)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- cooked white rice
- chopped parsley
- chopped springs green onions
heat the oil in the pressure cooker on medium heat, add the veggies and stir for 5 to 8 min until tender.
mix all the seasoning together and add it to the veggies .
cook it through until you smell the fragrances of the spices.
put heat on high.
add the meat cubes and cook it till lightly brown for 5 minutes.
and the pre-soaked beans (check notes) and the vegetable broth and bay leaves.
bring the mixture to boil .
A white layer (زفرة) will form on the surface of the liquid; skim this off with a slotted or a regular spoon and discard.
add the mustard, pomegranate molasses (دبس الرمان) , tomato sauce and tomato paste. stir to combine
close the pressure cooker and set the indicator to the vegetables indicator.
cook for 30 minutes* , turn off the heat and allow it to release the pressure before opening.
let it cool a little bit and serve with some white rice on side and some parsley and green onions on top of it.
- for the beans to be cooked evenly and with no crunch in it, the night before pour the beans in hot water and bring to boil, when it start to boil for 1 minute. turn off heat cover the pan and let it soak overnight, the next day drain and use in the recipe. if you forget to do this step the night before or in the morning so it will be soaked at least 4 -5 hours , just add to the cooking time in pressure cooker 10 minutes.
- after you open the pressure cooker if the beans need more cooking just lower the heat and let it simmer until cooked 5 to 10 minutes.